60 Days Trial Membership - Two ways to sign-up1) Download the Trial Membership Application and mail it to the address on the form.
2) Register online on the www.tryPDK.org.
When you register, make sure you complete the statement "I would like to be affiliated with a chapter" by selecting the University of Toronto Chapter .
Encourage your friends and colleagues to take advantage of this special offer.
For two months, no-commitment members will receive all the benefits of PDK membership for free. This includes:
- All PDK publications, like Kappan magazine, the No. 1 education policy magazine (published in print and online), and EDge: The Latest Information for the Education Practitioner, a bimonthly magazine that features a single, cutting-edge article of importance to educators;
- Access to the Publications Archives, an extensive searchable database of articles from Kappan and other PDK publications;
- Networking opportunities through PDKConnect, a private online community where you can interact with education professionals from around the world; and
- Professional learning opportunities, including webinars led by experts in the field and the PDK Book Club, which features cutting-edge education books selected just for PDK members.
PDK ChalkWalk for Education 2010 - Saturday, September 18, 2010
Reserve Saturday morning, September 18th to join us in University of Toronto Chapter's annual PDK ChalkWalk for Education. We gather to complete registration forms at the OISE - University of Toronto and then walk several laps around Queen's Park.
The event raises money for PDK Awards and Scholarship programmes and for Future Educator Association Clubs. Please see the Walk tab for further details.
PDK University of Toronto's 55th Anniversary and Awards Dinner
the University of Toronto Chapter will be celebrating its 55th Anniversary and presenting the Inaugural Anniversary Chapter Award to Craig Kielburger on Thursday, October 28, 2010 @ the Hart House. Further information can be found on the 55th Anniversary Flyer .
Area Leadership Conference
The annual Area Leadership Conference was held at the Americana Conference Resort in Niagara Falls on July 10, 2010. Kappan leaders from Region H, including members frmo the Toronto Chapter, the London Chapter and the Albany Chapter gathered to share best practices and chapter goals. Details of the ALC will be reported on the upcoming newsletter.
Video Recording of Past Research Series
Video recordings of past reserach series can be found in the archives or by following the links below.
2009 - 2010
Session #1 October 28, 2009: Roots of Empathy - Founder Mary Gordon
Session #2 November 26, 2009: Together We Can Make A Difference - Elizabeth Sinclair-Artwell, Superintendent, Peel DSB
Session #3 April 7, 2010: Who CARES? I CARE! Engaging students through character development - Kari Peters and Don Burns, Character Development Teachers, Sir Robert L. Borden BTI
2008 - 2009
Session #1 October 21, 2008 - Dr. David Booth, OISE | U.T.
Session #2 January 29, 2009 - Terry Whitmell, Port Credit Secondary School, Mississauga
Session #3 March 5, 2009 - Dr. Bev Freedman & Dr. Jennifer Jenson, York University
Click the following links to view the most recent newsletter: 2010 - August Newsletter
Inserts: ALC Report Page 1 - ALC Report Page 2 - Trial Membership Application - ChalkWalk Flyer - 55th Anniversary Flyer
Past newsletters can be found on the Newsletter Section.
back to top
Congratulations to Ruth Child's
Kappan Ruth Child's article about teachers as test proctors, which built on the talk she gave for PDK a few years ago, just won the award for best English-language article in the Canadian Journal of Education in 2009! The article is online at When the Teacher Is The Test Proctor